The inhabitants of Alcalalí and Vall de Pop were victims of attacks by pirates and bandits who entered these lands through the mountain "Coll de Rates". At the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century, Mosen Pedro de Castellví, sovereign of Alcalalí and Jalón, and his wife Yolanda Pardo, ordered the construction of a tower on the hill of Alcalalí: its functions were surveillance and last refuge in case of invasion.
Later, in 1599, Don Eiximen Ruiz de Lihory y Pertusa bought Alcalalí with all the rights granted and had a palatial residence built, connected to the Medieval Tower by a drawbridge. The Ruiz de Lihory family ruled in Alcalalí until 1837, when, by order of Queen Mª Cristina, the manorial regimes were abolished.
For many years the Tower was the highest building in the municipality, until in the 18th century the barons ordered the construction of the Church, located opposite the Tower and the residential palace.
Fortunately, to this day, the Tower and the Church (18th century) are still the tallest buildings in the municipality. Alcalalí maintains the essence of a charming village, without modern buildings.
During the following years, both the Tower and the Palace passed into the hands of different private owners, being in 1900 when the Palace and the Tower became private homes. In 1992 the Medieval Tower was acquired by the Town Council of Alcalalí.
Three years later, with the help of the Diputación de Alicante, the Tower was completely restored and a lift was installed. The work on the top floor consisted of fixing an iron and glass structure that allowed the tower to be restored to its function as a lookout point: magnificent panoramic views of the Vall de Pop can now be enjoyed.
The original structure of the Tower, which is still preserved, was divided into five floors:
- Ground floor: Prison and, later, a goods storehouse.
- First floor: Lords' Hall
- First floor: Lords' dormitory
- Third floor: accommodation for servants and defenders
- Fourth floor: Lookout platform
The most striking features of the Medieval Tower are the graffiti and engravings found on the second and third floors: they were made between the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, and give us a deeper insight into the habits and customs of the people who inhabited the ancient Alcalalí.
The current structure of the Tower has been divided as follows:
- Ground floor: Reception with lift
- First floor: Museum
- First floor: Museum
- Third floor: Graffiti and engravings.
- Fourth floor: bathroom and access to the viewpoint.
- Fifth floor: panoramic viewpoint Vall de Pop